Minor Injury

Urgent treatment centres provide medical help when it's not a life-threatening emergency. They can diagnose and deal with many of the common problems people go to A&E for.

Other types of urgent care services are called minor injuries units or walk-in centres. They offer some, but not all, of the same help as urgent treatment centres.

When urgent treatment centres can help instead of A&E

Urgent treatment centres are usually staffed by nurses. If you need one, you can often get tests like an ECG (electrocardiogram), blood tests or an X-ray.

They can help with things like: 

  • sprains and strains
  • suspected broken bones
  • injuries, cuts and bruises
  • stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhoea 
  • skin infections and rashes
  • high temperature in children and adults
  • mental health concerns

If you need a prescription one can be organised for you. Emergency contraception is also available.

Minor injuries units and walk-in centres

These services can help with some of the same problems as urgent treatment centres, but they do not all have the same facilities. 

NHS 111 online can direct you to the right urgent care.

NHS 111 online can help if you think you need urgent care. If an urgent care service is not right for your problem, you will be offered alternative services. 

Urgent treatment centres, minor injuries units and walk-in centres are all types of urgent care service. They are separate from A&E, although some might be located in the same hospital building.